Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Seng Kee

It is always great to have someone suggesting a new eatery rather than me cracking my brains thinking of where I should head for a great culinary adventure. Maverick did just that last Saturday when he directed Simon and I to Seng Kee at Jalan Sultan.

This famous restaurant has been serving the night crowd for many years now and is still celebrated as one of the best supper spots in KL. I have been here a few years back but I couldn’t recall the food I had. The booze got the better of me, I guess.

We arrived around 12.30 in the morning, feeling hungry after an exciting waterless swim. Service was attentive and amazingly speedy. The Siu Yoke Meen (roasted pork belly noodles) arrived in less than 10 minutes upon order. Eat that, burger chains! The Siu Yoke, which was dressed in a generous amount of dark soya sauce, was a tad too sweet and the texture was hard. The wanton noodle was quite dry too. Nevertheless, I did enjoy the idea of dressing the savoury Siu Yoke with dark soya sauce as it provided an interestingly contrasting taste to the meat. A good idea but could be better if the Siu Yoke was served with a bowl of white rice instead.

The aromatic Claypot Loh Shi Fun (starch noodle that resembles mouse’s tail) arrived piping hot and looking divine! A raw egg topped the ensemble of noodle, prawns and minced pork, providing a smoother overall texture. The noodle was coated with the right amount of dark soya sauce, making it sweeter and not bitter. The savoury minced meat was not too dry nor too hard. An ordinary yet flavourful dish.

Last on the list was the stir-fried pig fallopian tubes dish. I’m sure there must be people out there who are either disgusted or surprised with this dish. I for one, thought that those were intestines, until Maverick enlightened me on this. Well, since I had tried many types of "unidentified intestines” before, I guess this might not be the first time I had the tubes then. The tubes were cooked just right and exhibited a springy texture. Cucumber, fried garlic and cili padi (bird’s eye chili) were great accompaniments to this dish. Do take note too that beneath the tubes laid a thick layer of melted lard. Raise the health alarm! Well, then again, how frequent do we eat this, right?

The meal, including a pot of Chinese Tea, cost RM44. A commendable price since pork (or any other part of the pig) is getting more expensive due to the shrinkage in supply. Sad but true.

An irresistibly devilicious meal, packed with lard, oxidants and artificial flavourings. As hazardous as it may sound, I am calling for a sweet surrender.

Seng Kee
Jalan Sultan
(I couldn’t locate the unit number but it is along Jalan Sultan and on the same row as Nam Heong Chicken Rice. There is also a signboard bearing the name of the shop.)

No comments: